5 ways to improve wifi coverage at home or office
If you are on this page, it is likely that you have issues with your WiFi and wanted to learn how to fix it. Wireless internet has revolutionised the way we work and enjoy leisure activities. But setting up great wifi coverage for your home or business can sometimes be frustrating, especially if you experience a weak signal or your wifi coverage cuts in and out.
Here is 5 ways to improve wifi coverage at home or office
- First thing first – try restarting your Wireless Router
- Try moving your Wireless Router or Access Point closer to the centre of your house or the office
- You may want to move the Wireless device as far as possible from any interfering devices such as TVs and Microwaves
- Avoid using boosters. As 7 Labs explain in the picture below, Boosters or repeaters act as the “borrowing” part of your existing Wi-Fi signal, extending it to the other parts of your house. To have a good coverage, you may want to consider setting up a Mesh network. The Wireless Access Points in Mesh mode use a single network name and password and mesh with each other . When you move with your laptop from one room to another, the laptop automatically connects to the one that is closer
5. Check if your Wireless device uses both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. If you have some an old laptop or use Smart Home Devices, then limiting your Wi-Fi to only use 2.4Ghz band may be the best option to have a stable connection
These days, there are many ways that you can figure out how your wireless network is performing. The reality is that everyone’s wireless network is competing with everyone else’s wireless network, signals are being crossed, wireless channels are being confused. It also helps to be using a channel that doesn’t have a lot of competing wireless networks using that same channel – and if you don’t want to know what this all means or just want to improve your wifi at home or the office – just give us a call and we will Rescue you
If you experience issues with your wifi and the above steps didn’t resolve the issue, you should consider having the professionals from RES-Q carry out a wifi analysis review. An IT expert specialising in wifi coverage can help to sort out issues such as:
- Channel congestion
- Poor coverage areas
- How to improve coverage and speed
Adjacent and co-channel interference can wreak havoc on the performance of your wireless internet network. With more and more smart devices coming to the market you need to plan your network and traffic utilisation. Most popular devices need to be able to access your Wi-Fi before you can control them. Failing scenes, the delay in turning the lights on or off could be the result of poorly designed network.
You may want to consider Z-Wave, Zigbee or other wireless technologies if you plan to automate your entire house and not to affect your Internet speeds.
RES-Q can help sort out your wireless network channel congestion issues. Contact us today for a free consultation!